Yesterday I was walking on Arlington and passed the CC Animal Control truck loading a dead deer (a young buck) into the truck by lift. Even worse, the dead deer went on top of another dead deer that the officer had collected somewhere else in the area.
Right now is deer mating season and they have been sighted on Arlington, Tulare, Mira Vista — including running down the street on Mira Vista after school drop off.
Please drive slowly and keep watch for darting deer. Mira Vista has two large lots behind houses in the middle of the street and the deer love to eat there so they cross there a lot.
Please note the schedule this week, which is a bit different from prior years:
- Tuesday is a minimum day for all grades.
- Wednesday – no school
- Thursday – no school
- Friday – no school
We hope by now that you are aware of the great opportunity available to Mira Vista parents and staff: freshly delivered farmer’s produce at the school, which benefits the PTA.
How it works:
- There is no minimum order.
- Place your order by Sunday midnight for delivery on the Tuesday after.
- Your order repeats every week unless you go in and cancel it.
- Your produce will await you in the PTA room in the main office (marked “multiuse” or ask Ms. Norma).
- If you order dairy, it will arrive separately from your bag in a cooler
- CHECK bags and boxes! Heavier items will be delivered in a box.
How to do it:
1.Go to: https://www.farmigo.com/market/miravistaelementaryschool-richmond
2. Browse your produce and pick what you want.
3. Place your order.
4. Pick up at school on the date specified on the site.
If you order now, you’ll get a free copy of the cookbook Cooking from the Farmer’s Market! Email email@example.com once you’ve signed up.
What is the benefit of this program? Can’t I get produce cheaper from the store, even organic?
Famigo supports local farmers and the farm-to-table movement. You’re supporting sustainable agriculture by buying from Farmigo. And in a word, is the store cheaper? No. Organic produce can be high-priced if it’s shipped in from Mexico or other places; Farmigo prices are on par with stores like Berkeley Bowl and Andronico’s. $2 for a head of organic lettuce is cheaper than any farmer’s market. Plus, delivery is FREE. Other farm box programs charge delivery fees.
Here’s what you missed at the last PTA meeting of 2013:
- This year’s Holiday Showcase will be December 19 at 6:30. Get there early for good seats; this is the best-attended event of the year. Students from grades K through 5 will perform. Interested in helping? Talk to your child’s teacher.
- We are still collecting money from the Chocolate Sale. Please turn yours in if you haven’t already.
- Classrooms have cans to collect donations for this year’s Library Coin Drive. Funds raised go to purchasing new books for the libraries—students have already created a wishlist of titles.
- We are collecting toiletries and socks for this year’s Basic Needs Drive for local homeless shelters from December 1 through 12. Details will be coming home in the weekly folders or available online. Talk to Harpal Gill or Elaine Fajardo if you can help sort items.
- Parent–teacher conferences: Thanks to teachers for all their hard work and parents for attending. Elementary school report cards will come out this week. Middle school grades are up and disciplinary actions are down.
- Sign up for Farmigo, our online farmer’s market, and get a free cookbook!
Our next meeting will be on January 8, 2014. See you there!
This Saturday, November 16th from 8 to 5, the Mira Vista STEM Club is hosting their first annual qualifier tournament for Lego Robotics!
We have 12 teams from all over the East Bay coming to demonstrate their science, technology, engineering and math skills alongside the FLL Core Values of gracious professionalism and cooperation.
There will be Lego robots to amaze and inspire you, great food from our own culinary program from Hercules HS, and an atmosphere of great fun and enthusiasm for learning.
Please join us for a look-see, a bite to eat and a day full of fun and anticipation. Awards ceremony will be held at the end of the days competition and judging. Come cheer on our two home teams as they vie for a chance to advance to the next level of competition all while working together towards a common goal. They are truly inspiring!
Click here to read more details including directions and times and concessions.
Please join us for the PTA meeting. Snacks and childcare will be available. 7:00 pm in the teacher’s lounge.
Download the agenda in Word.
Parent University topics will be on:
- Student Street Safety Strategies & Gang Prevention 7:35 – 8:00
- Mira Vista Garden 8:00 – 8:10
It is time once again for our traditional coin drive. Each classroom will have a special canister for collections. Pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, even dollars . . . it all adds up! Last year we raised $550. That is a lot of books!
This year’s theme is “Dimes for Diaries.” We will be purchasing more of the hugely popular “Diary of A Wimpy Kid” and “Dork Diaries” titles, and other fun books. The Coin Drive starts on November 12– please bring coins in then to your child’s classroom!
Tuesday, October 5, is a teacher’s work day.