What are the Common Core State Standards?
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. Science standards are still being developed and will be released within the next few years. The standards are designed to ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to enter college or the workforce. For more general information and to view the standards:
What’s different about the Common Core State Standards?
• Fewer standards to teach at each grade level in favor of greater depth
• Literacy skills taught across subject areas
• Providing content-rich non-fiction and academic language
• Math standards as an extension of prior learning
• The integration of math in science and technical subject areas
• Sharing of results and best practices across the nation.